America Runs on Dunkin’ – And Now, So Does a Tiny Home.
Enjoying a morning cup of Dunkin' at Home Coffee gets you going so you can power through your day. So why not power where you drink the coffee - at home? The Home that Runs on Dunkin' is a custom, transportable tiny home that runs on biofuel created by spent Dunkin' coffee grounds.
How it works:
We partnered with Blue Marble Biomaterials, a sustainable biochemical company to create eco-friendly biofuel from about 65,000 pounds of spent Dunkin' coffee grounds. Here's how we did it:
- Step 1: Extract excess oils in the spent coffee grounds. There can be natural oils left in spent coffee grounds, all depending on the coffee bean type and original processing methods.
- Step 2: Mix and react. These oils are then mixed with an alcohol to undergo a chemical reaction known as transesterification. This produces biodiesel and glycerin as a byproduct.
- Step 3: Refine. The biodiesel is washed and refined to create the final product.
Every 170 pounds of spent coffee grounds yields about one gallon of fuel and is used in a standard biofuel generator.
It's a destination - not a science experiment.
The Home That Runs on Dunkin’ was built in partnership with New Frontier Tiny Homes. In a little more than three months, Dunkin’ at Home and New Frontier started to build a custom, premium 275 square foot, transportable home with looks as modern as it runs with multifunctional furniture and reclaimed materials. The exterior of the home was designed specifically for Dunkin’ at Home – with dark, black stained cedar wood reminiscent of a morning cup of coffee, and corten steel panels that have a coarse and dusty finish similar to the coffee grounds that power the home.
Inspired design by Olivia Wilde.
The chic aesthetic of the home was designed in partnership with actress Olivia Wilde, who brought her passion for home and modern eye to the home's interior design. Key features include:
- Chef’s kitchen with high end appliances and a farmhouse sink
- Full-size, designer bathroom with spa tub and washer/dryer
- King-size bed
- Living room for two and cozy coffee nook with beautiful picture frame windows
- Full-size cedar porch
- Modern finishes like subway tile, slate countertops, solid walnut floors, reclaimed wood siding and shiplap
See it for yourself
Click through for the 360 experience to see every feature, nook, and surprise.
Tiny Home is powered by a biofuel blend of 80% coffee oil that is extracted from coffee grounds.